Is there anything more exciting than the idea of moving into your first home? In all the excitement leading up to getting into your new home, you might be wondering what exactly you need to have on your move-in day. Here’s a list of some things you’ll want to make sure you have ready for your move:
- A “first night” bag: Put together a bag with your essentials (pjs, toiletries, change of clothes) and make sure you keep it handy when you move in.
- New keys and locks: Replacing the locks and keys to your house will make your space more secure and keep out any past inhabitants.
- Tool kit: When you move into a home, there’s bound to be little repairs and maintenance things to be done. But unlike renting, no landlord is going to take care of the repairs.
- Toilet plunger: You definitely don’t want to deal with an unfortunate clog while getting adjusted to your house. Bring a plunger to make sure you don’t have any emergency calls to the plumber.
- Fire extinguisher: A fire extinguisher is a must have for any living space, and sometimes sellers don’t leave them behind. If one does come with the house, make sure it’s not expired.
- Curtains or blinds: Sellers will often take window fixtures with them, and you don’t want the entire world seeing into your home at night. Rather than scrambling to tack up sheets on your move-in day, bring some curtains or blinds with you.
- Furniture: Even if you’re working on updates before moving your big furniture in, you’ll want to pack a chair or two so you have a space to take a break.
- Coffee maker: You’re gonna need all the extra energy you can get for moving in, so make sure to keep your coffee maker handy!
When you have all of these things on hand, you’ll have a smooth and less stressful move-in experience. And if you need help finding the right home to move into, you know you can always give me a call.